IST Online Program
The School of Information Systems and Applied Technologies is pleased to offer the convenience and flexibility to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems Technologies (IST) completely online. IST has a select group of online classes, providing place-bound students the opportunity to take IST courses via web-based instruction.
Through this professional undergraduate degree you'll gain an understanding of knowledge, skills, and abilities of Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS). Our IT online courses focus on Information Technology, Computer Programming, System Analysis and Design, Network and Information Security, Web Development, Database Management and Mobile Programing, etc.
For more information, check out our areas of study page.
A degree earned online in Information Systems Technologies is the same as degree earned from the campus.
Registration for the online IST program is restricted to IST majors who are unable to attend the on-campus program on the Carbondale campus. For additional information regarding the online program, go to the Office of Extended Campus.
- A minimum of 2.5 of 4.0 GPA for prior post-secondary course work.
- Satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses.
- Access to computer and the internet.
- Additional software may be required for specific courses.
For more information, check out our Admission Requirement page.
To apply for the online IST program, visit the Undergraduate Admissions website.
All courses for this program are delivered online, structured to be completed at your convenience by set deadlines. A team of instructors, teaching assistants, and program staff work to prepare and deliver course materials and provide support for you.
The University’s Morris Library provides information and support for Distance Education Learning.
Here is what you can expect:
- You will receive general instructional materials for each course when the registration process is complete. It is your responsibility to contact each instructor with an email message so that your user identification and password can be assigned giving you access to the course (Interface used is Blackboard).
- Weekly deadlines are posted and must be followed in order to succeed. You must follow the assignment and test schedules of each course. Each faculty member will provide dates and procedures for completion of work.
- You will complete class activities in a different manner and time format.
- Grading procedures and all policies are followed as stated in the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Undergraduate Catalog.
Curriculum and Courses
The online Information Systems Technologies degree requires the standard 120 credit hours for a baccalaureate degree, including meeting University Core Curriculum and Career Course requirements, which may be met though an approved Associate’s degree from an accredited community college.
This program offers continuous enrollment, so students may begin the program at any time. Part-time enrollment is available.
The tuition for the online Information Systems Technologies program is the same as on-campus, in-state tuition rates, and the fees for online students are substantially lower than those for on-campus students. Please refer to the Off-Campus Tuition and Fees Calculator for additional information. Some courses will require the purchase of additional software or other materials.
Financial aid and scholarships may be available. Please visit the SIU Financial Aid website for more information.
There are also program-specific scholarship opportunities through the School of Information Systems and Applied Technologies and the College of Applied Sciences and Arts.
Why our online Information Systems Technologies program?
IST students are in high demand for internships and other opportunities that can lead to jobs upon graduation. We have an outstanding job placement rate regarding information technology, which gives you the opportunity to step directly from the classroom into your future. See the program’s career opportunities page for a list of employers who pursue IST graduates.
For questions, or to request more information, please contact the Academic Advisor, Kijoung Na, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (618) 453-7281.
Earn your most affordable IT program degree from a nationally-ranked research institution.
Contact us for more details by filling out the form below to learn about how to start your information systems technologies degree, our academic advisor will reach out to you soon.